Managing Challenging Behaviours
in People with Intellectual Disabilities(Class 3)
Mental Health Series for Caring Professionals
by Dr. Cheung Wai Him 張偉謙醫生
<香港護士管理局 (Nursing Council of HK) CNE 認可持續進修課程>
< Full >
With the advance in clinical medicine, both the population size and the life expectancy in adults with intellectual disabilities are increasing. The prevalence of mental health problems and behavioural disorders among this group of clients are higher than that in the general population. Very often, their caregivers face great challenges in handling their challenging behaviour as a result of their complicated special needs.
The workshop will focus on practical issues in assessment and diagnosis of common mental health problems and behavioural disorders in adults with intellectual disabilities. Principle of management in handling the challenging behaviour will be covered through the lecture, case sharing and discussion.
To equip participants with updated knowledge and practical skills in assessment and management of the challenging behaviour in adults with intellectual disabilities as a result of their mental health problems and challenging behaviour.
- Common mental health problems and behavioural disorders in adults with intellectual disabilities and their relationship with challenging behaviours.
- Practical guidelines in assessment of challenging behaviours and the related disorders.
- Behavioural and pharmacological management of challenging behaviours and common mental health problems in adults with intellectual disabilities.
Dr. Cheung Wai Him 張偉謙醫生
Specialist in Psychiatry 精神科專科醫生
- FHKAM (Psychiatry)
- MRCPsych (UK)
- MBBS (HKU)
In addition to the duties in the general adult psychiatric unit, Dr. CHEUNG also worked in a specialized unit for patients with intellectual disabilities for 6 years before he became the service in-charge of the Substance Abuse Assessment Unit of the Kwai Chung Hospital in 2007.
Dr. CHEUNG is the Clinical Assistant Professor (Honorary) and part-time Lecturer in the Department of Psychiatry of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also involved in training of social workers and teachers, and delivered talks to public.
Dr. CHEUNG is the Honorary Adviser of the Youth Crime Prevention Centre of the hongkong federation of youth groups and the Honorary Professional Consultant for the Haven of Hope Christian Services. He serves the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists as the Honorary Secretary since 2010.
Dr. CHEUNG provides psychiatric evaluation, medication assessment and management on conditions including anxiety and mood disorders, substance-related disorders, neuro-cognitive disorders (dementia), ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, and psychotic disorders.
Date : 23/8/2018 (Thur.) < Full >
Time : 9:30am – 5:30pm (7 hours)
Venue : Christian Family Service Centre (CFSC), Rm 201, 2/F, 3 Tsui Ping Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon (Kwun Tong MTR Station Exit D1)
Language : Cantonese supplement with English (Teaching materials are mainly in English)
Target : Social workers, counselors, psychologists, health-care professionals, teachers, police officer and judicial personnel, as well as allied professionals.
Course Mode : Lecture, group discussion, role play & case sharing
Course Fee : HK$1,180-
Special Offer : HK$1,130- Enroll the course one month or more prior to the event
Group Discount : HK$50-discount /each for group of 3 or above
- Nurse (CNE) : 7 points
- Social Worker (CPD) : 7 points
- Occupational Therapist (CPD) : 3 points (Program Code : BP18023)
- Educational Psychologist (CEUs) : 6 points
Certificate : Certificate of Attendance issued by Hong Kong Society of Professional Training
- Payment by Cheque : Please send completed registration form with a cross cheque payable to “Hong Kong Society of Professional Training” to 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Payment by Bank-in : Please bank in the course fee to our bank account with “Bank of China (HK) Ltd“, A/C: 012-890-1-038-682-9, please send the completed enrollment form and bank-in slip to us by email (PDF) or by FAX: 852-2125 7900. We will confirm through email within 1 week, please contact us if you did not receive any confirmation.
- Macau Payment : Please click this link for details
- Overseas payment : Click Here to contact us.
For enquiry : For enquiry, please contact our staff at 3111 0264 or Click Here to contact us.
Student Feedback :
- Case Discussion 能解答同學實際工作的困難。 行政人員
- 個案分享，由淺入深分析，多角度理解問題。 Pat
- 課程內容很實用，夠貼地，講師解說很具體、形象，但不失專業性。 心理師 - Mavis Ruan