Introductory Course in Narrative Therapy
Basic Concepts and Skills (2 days) (Class 2)
Module I : Basic Concepts and Skills ; Module II : Case Supervision
This course is intended to offer a bird’s eye view on the basic philosophical foundation that underlies Narrative Therapy. In addition, what narrative therapy in a nutshell is about: namely, the experiencing of our lives through stories as well as situating stories in therapeutic context. This course is intended to be both informational, educational as well as experiential.
Course Objectives :
- To gain a fundamental understanding of the philosophical foundation in narrative therapy
- To explore personal attractions of narrative therapy
- To experience what it is like to live life through stories; to tell stories about yourself
- To gain a basic understanding of externalizing conversation
- To gain a basic understanding of retrieving unique outcomes and thickening them with the view of constructing an alternative plot of preferred story
- To refine the therapeutic skills of Narrative Therapy
Course Content :
- Basic understanding of philosophical influences which helps to shape Michael White’s conception of narrative therapy
- The meaning of such philosophical implication for our personal and professional lives
- The meaning and importance of stories as opposed to feelings
- Understanding of externalizing conversation: naming the problem, tracing its history as well as exploring its effects
- Retrieving unique outcomes, thickening them and reconstructing an alternative preferred story plot
- The practice and developing the skills of asking good and helpful clinical questions
Module 2: Participants can bring their own video, transcripts or verbal reports for case supervision.
Trainer : Ms. Josanna Lai (黎玉蓮小姐)
Josanna Lai Yuk Lin is a registered clinical psychologist with over twenty years of clinical experience both in Hong Kong and Australia. Her clinical work spans across different clinical settings including psychiatric hospital (HK & Australia), university counseling setting, rehabilitation setting and private practice. She is a clinical supervisor for HK Master’s Programs in Clinical Psychology as well as honorary clinical supervisor for Fu Hong.
She was a personal friend of late Michael White and completed an intensive Diploma Course in Narrative Therapy under his tutelage. She was also the clinical supervisor for HK Baptist University Master’s Program in Youth Counseling.
Module 1: 12/7 & 19/7/2018 (Thur.) (14 hours) ;
Module 2: 26/7/2018 (Thur.) (7 hours)
Time: 0930-1730 per each day (3 days – total 21 hours)
Venue : Christian Family Service Centre (CFSC), Rm 201, 2/F, 3 Tsui Ping Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon (Kwun Tong MTR Station Exit D1)
Course fee: $4,800-
Special Offer : HK$4,700- Enroll the course at least one month prior to the event
Group Discount : HK$100- discount each for group of 3 or more
Individual Module :
Module 1: HK$3,300-
Module 2: HK$1,700-
- Payment by Cheque : Please send completed registration form with a cross cheque payable to “Hong Kong Society of Professional Training” to 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Payment by Bank-in : Please bank in the course fee to our bank account with “Bank of China (HK) Ltd“, A/C: 012-890-1-038-682-9, please send the completed enrollment form and bank-in slip to us by email (PDF) or by FAX: 852-2125 7900. We will confirm through email within 1 week, please contact us if you did not receive any confirmation.
- Macau Payment : Please click this link for details
- Overseas/Paypal payment : Please click on Online Registration below.
For enquiry : please contact our staff at 3111 0264 or Click Here to contact us.
Student Feedback :
- 欣賞討論及提問，角色扮演的部份會更有效去應用及體驗所學。 社工 - Queenie
- 欣賞一起嘗試發問問題的部份 (Narrative Questions)、及導師和同學間之互動。 社工
- Case shoring 好精彩，老師 Josanna 的分享點評都好 insightful & constructure & inspiring；老師好 nice 好溫柔，也好堅強。 副教授 - 小文豪
- The translation from English to Chiness fit local need. Peer Specialist in CPH - Hung