Gottman Method Couples Therapy (Level 1 & 2)
Training course leading to Gottman Certified Therapist
<Online video lecture facilitated by GMCT's Trainer>
Learning the practical, emotion focused, and highly effective approach which is based on Dr. John Gottman’s 40 years of compelling research with over 3,000 couples. Join the worldwide network of more than 50,000 mental health professionals who have completed Level 1 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
Special Arrangement during COVID-19 Pandemic
Gottman's institute agrees to provide unlimited access to the Level I and II programs' materials free of charge. For the University outreach programs usually do not provide such benefits.
Two Levels will be organized
Level 1: 16/5 & 17/5/2020 (Sat. & Sun.) <2 days>
Help couples learn to manage conflict, deepen friendship and intimacy, and share their life purpose and dreams. Discover research-based assessments and effective interventions you can start practicing immediately.
Level 2: 19/6 to 22/6/2020 (Fri. to Mon.) <4 days>
Internalize the powerful, research-based Gottman Method Couples Therapy assessment and intervention techniques as you integrate them in your clinical work. Gain insight as to when to use these methods and when couples therapy is contraindicated.
Level 1 – Learning Objectives
- Knowing “Sound Relationship House theory”
- Conduct a couple’s therapy assessment using elements of the couple’s narrative, the Oral History Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict and individual interviews
- Learn two interventions to help couples to better manage conflicts
- Enhance a couple’s friendship
- To explore a couple’s system of shared meaning
- Recognize the importance of self-soothing
- Create a therapeutic contract with a couple
- Describe the Philosophy of Therapy and including assumptions
Level 2 – Learning Objectives
- Prepare couples to physiologically soothe when flooded
- Select and implement interventions help deal with conflict
- Apply different modes of changing the “Attack / Defend System” in a couple’s interaction
- Assist couples to establish dialogue about their gridlocked conflicts
- Develop interventions that couples can use as antidotes to the “Four Horsemen”
- Describe the five steps of processing a fight or a regrettable incident using the Aftermath of A Fight intervention
- Use and describe the Stress-Reducing Conversation to minimize relapse
- Meanings and friendship building
- Recognize emotions on the Human Face, Tension in the Voice, the Important of Words ad the use of the SPAFF coding system
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House Theory
- Instruct couple on how to work towards compromise by using the Two Oval method
- Describe how the to recognize Bids and Turning Towards
- Explain the component of the first three Assessment sessions
- Explain and demonstrate how to conduct an Oral Interview
- Conduct a Feedback Session, including how to formulate a Treatment Plan
- Assessment and Intervention
- Working to deal with affairs
- Couple dealing with substance abuse
- Couples Therapy on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Appropriate approaches to intervene various forms of domestic violence
Co-Ordinator and Facilitator :
Professor Albert Chan (Ph.D. & Psy.D.)
Ms. Christina Leung (Family and Marriage Therapist)
Dr. Albert Chan PHD, PSYD
• Reg. Social Worker
• Clinical & Counseling Psychologist, Div. 32, APA (USA)
• AAMFT Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor (USA)
• Professor, Gratia Christian College; Visiting Professor, Beijing Normal University, Zhuhai; MUST, Macau and Mongolia
• Sexual Counselor, Sexual Medicine Clinic at Henderson Hospital
A dynamic and experienced Clinical and Counseling Psychologist with a wide range of personal and corporate management coaching and training experiences from a variety of organizations includes government, non-profit organizations and private corporations.
Albert offers inspiring insights and stimulating experiential facilitation and psychological services that cultivate participants’ strengths and motivation to develop innovations and practical solutions; coaching CEOs and leaders includes Manulife, Medical officers and HK police Superintendents etc.
Date & Time: (Revised on 17/2/2020)
Level 1: 16/5 & 17/5/2020 (Sat. & Sun.) <2 days> 9:00am – 6:00pm (Total 16 hours)
Level 2: 19/6 to 22/6/2020 (Fri. to Mon.) <4 days> 9:00am – 6:00pm (Total 32 hours)
- 5 Wai Chi Street, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong
( approx. 2 min walking distance from Shek Kip Mei MTR Station Exit C )
Target : Helping Professionals, Counselor, teachers, medical staffs and anyone interested in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
Level 1 & 2: (Price including the clinical training material HK$1800-)
- HK$7,200- (Enroll the course 1 month or more prior to the event)
- HK$7,000- (for each group of 2 or above & enroll the course at 1 month prior to the event)
Level 1: (Price including the clinical training material HK$800-)
- HK$3,300- (Enroll the course 1 month or more prior to the event)
- HK$3,100- (for each group of 2 or above & enroll the course at 1 month prior to the event)
Level 2: (Price including the clinical training material HK$1000-)
- HK$4,800- (Enroll the course 1 month or more prior to the event)
- HK$4,600- (for each group of 2 or above & enroll the course at 1 month prior to the event)
Language : Lecture Videos are in English, facilitated in Cantonese supplemented with English (Teaching materials are mainly in English)
Course Mode : Online video lecture facilitated by GMCT’s Trainer, group discussion and case sharing
Certificate of completion issued by The Gottman Institute
Level 1: Certificate of Completion, Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Level 1 Bridging the Couple Chasm
Level 2: Certificate of Completion, Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Level 2, Assessment, Intervention and Co-morbidities
- Nurse CNE : 1 CNE/ hour
- Social Worker CPD : 1 CPD/ hour
- Occupational Therapist (CPD) : 6 points for Level 1 (Program Code : BP19115) & 9 points for Level 2 (Program Code : BP19116)
- Payment by Cheque : Please send completed registration form with a cross cheque payable to “Hong Kong Society of Professional Training” to 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Payment by Bank-in / Fast Payment Service (FPS) 轉數快 / PayMe: Please bank in the course fee to our bank account with “Bank of China (HK) Ltd” 中銀香港A/C No: 012-890-1-038-682-9. or FPS (轉數快): 8835217 / PayMe: Please scan our PayMe QR Code and keep the payment record of PayMe screenshots. Please send the completed registration form and Bank in slip/ Capture Slip to Hong Kong Society of Professional Training either by email (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax: 852-21257900
- Macau Payment : Please click this link for details
- Overseas/Paypal payment : Please click on Online Registration below.
For enquiry : please contact our staff at 3111 0264 or Click Here to contact us.
1.The course confirmation will be sent to participants via email at least 2 weeks before the course, please contact us if you do not receive any notification.
2.All registration will be accepted on a first come first served basis.
3.Once a registration has submitted, it cannot be refunded and cancelled for any reasons.
4. All requests for any change of registration must be given in a written from for approval. An administration fee of HK$200 will be charged for any processing request.
5.Official receipt will be issued on the first day of the course. Re issue of official receipt will be charged HK$50.
6.If you have any enquiry, please feel free to contact us on www.hkspt.org or 3111 0264.