Managing Challenging Clients with
Severe Interpersonal Boundary Issues & Self-harm
Module I : Basic Concepts & Skills ; Module II : Case Supervision
This course is intended to help clinical psychologists, social workers, counselors to gain a fundamental understanding on theories that address clients typically classified as “borderline personality disorder”. These theories include attachment theory and object relations which are useful in helping us to understand the developmental aspects of how the sense of self has been severely “deformed” with its implications for subsequent emotional and behavioural disregulation.
Furthermore, the practical skills of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy as well as the use of Narrative therapy will also be discussed and role played. Case supervision will be made available.
Course Objectives :
1. To gain a fundamental understanding of:
- the development of the sense of self through attachment theory and object relations
- the features of clients with severe interpersonal boundaries and difficulties they encounter
- the therapeutic Skills: an amalgamation of Narrative Therapy and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
2. To unpack the traditional consideration of treatment resistance through the lens of Narrative Therapy
3. To explore what is the most appropriate and helpful therapeutic stance to such clientele
Course Content :
- Gaining an understanding of attachment theory and object relations in the development of sense of self ; how a deformed sense of self can be instrumental in emotional and behavioural dysregulation
- Discussing the features of such clientele and the daily issues and problems they run into;
- Unpacking the traditional notion of treatment resistance
- Exploring what is the most optimal therapeutic stance for these clients
- Listening for the absent but implicit in therapy;
- Unpacking the notion of self harm and its meaning for the clients;
- Externalizing conversation
- How to retrieve unique outcomes, thickening them and possibly reconstructing an alternative preferred story plot
- Practicing skills on Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
Module 2: Participants can bring their own video, transcripts or verbal reports for case supervision.
Trainer : Ms. Josanna Lai (黎玉蓮小姐)
Josanna Lai Yuk Lin is a registered clinical psychologist with over twenty years of clinical experience both in Hong Kong and Australia. Her clinical work spans across different clinical settings including psychiatric hospital (HK & Australia), university counseling setting, rehabilitation setting and private practice. She is a clinical supervisor for HK Master’s Programs in Clinical Psychology as well as honorary clinical supervisor for Fu Hong.
She was a personal friend of late Michael White and completed an intensive Diploma Course in Narrative Therapy under his tutelage. She was also the clinical supervisor for HK Baptist University Master’s Program in Youth Counseling.
Module 1: 17/1 & 24/1/2019 (Thur.) (14 hours) ;
Module 2: 21/2/2019 (Thur.) (7 hours)
Time: 0930-1730 per each day (3 days – total 21 hours)
- HKSPT Conference Room, 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Hung Hom, KLN, HK (Whampoa MTR Station Exit D2)
- 地圖位置 MAP
Course fee: $4,800-
Special Offer : HK$4,700- Enroll the course at least one month prior to the event
Group Discount : HK$100- discount each for group of 3 or more
Individual Module :
Module 1: HK$3,300-
Module 2: HK$1,700-
Language : Cantonese supplemented with English (Teaching materials are mainly in English)
Course Mode : Lecture, group discussion, role play & case sharing
Helping professionals such as clinical psychologists, counselors, social workers, teachers & nurses
Certificate : Certificate of Attendance issued by Hong Kong Society of Professional Training
- Nurse (CNE) : 1 CNE point/ hour
- Social Worker (CPD) : 1 CPD point/ hour
- Occupational Therapist (CPD) : 6 CPD points - Module 1 (Program Code : BP18095) & 3 CPD points - Module 2 (Program Code : BP18096)
- Payment by Cheque : Please send completed registration form with a cross cheque payable to “Hong Kong Society of Professional Training” to 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Payment by Bank-in : Please bank in the course fee to our bank account with “Bank of China (HK) Ltd“, A/C: 012-890-1-038-682-9, please send the completed enrollment form and bank-in slip to us by email (PDF) or by FAX: 852-2125 7900. We will confirm through email within 1 week, please contact us if you did not receive any confirmation.
- Macau Payment : Please click this link for details
- Overseas/Paypal payment : Please click on Online Registration below.
For enquiry : please contact our staff at 3111 0264 or Click Here to contact us.
Feedback from students :
- 講解清晰，有 case 例子分享。 社工
- Course is comprehansive, well structured, clearly explain of theories & skills & implementation with specific example, lecturer is very experienced. Lecture notes is detailed.