Certificate in Managing Dual Diagnosis
for Mental Health Professionals
「雙重診斷」(Dual Diagnosis) 之理論、介入技巧與實務智慧
The New DSM 5 Approach for Caring Professionals
by Dr. Cheung Wai Him 張偉謙醫生
<香港護士管理局 (Nursing Council of HK) CNE 認可持續進修課程>
One-day practical Workshop on Approaching People with
Mental Illness and a Comorbid Substance Abuse Problem
Dual Diagnosis is the term used to describe clients with both mental health problems and problematic drug and/or alcohol use. Clients with dual diagnosis have complex physical and psychosocial needs, which can often be exacerbated by their problematic drug and/or alcohol use. Working with this group of clients poses great challenge to social workers, nurses, counsellors, teachers and parents in various settings.
Through the lecture and case sharing/discussion, this training workshop aims to equip health care professionals in various rehabilitative settings with the practical skills in comprehensive assessment of these conditions and introduce management strategies on handling this group of clients at different stages.
- To understand the nature and relationship between the mental health problems and Substance-Related Disorders.
- To develop a practical framework of assessment and management on clients with dual diagnosis.
- Overview of Substance-Related Disorders in DSM-5: its clinical applications and implications.
- Basic understanding of psychiatric manifestations related to the problematic substance use.
- To learn about the common psychiatric disorders which are comorbid with Substance-Related Disorders.
- Framework of assessment on these conditions.
- Management strategies on these conditions: from crisis intervention to long-term rehabilitation.
Dr. Cheung Wai Him 張偉謙醫生
Specialist in Psychiatry 精神科專科醫生
- FHKAM (Psychiatry)
- MRCPsych (UK)
- MBBS (HKU)
In addition to the duties in the general adult psychiatric unit, Dr. CHEUNG also worked in a specialized unit for patients with intellectual disabilities for 6 years before he became the service in-charge of the Substance Abuse Assessment Unit of the Kwai Chung Hospital in 2007.
Dr. CHEUNG is the Clinical Assistant Professor (Honorary) and part-time Lecturer in the Department of Psychiatry of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also involved in training of social workers and teachers, and delivered talks to public.
Dr. CHEUNG is the Honorary Adviser of the Youth Crime Prevention Centre of the hongkong federation of youth groups and the Honorary Professional Consultant for the Haven of Hope Christian Services. He serves the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists as the Honorary Secretary since 2010.
Dr. CHEUNG provides psychiatric evaluation, medication assessment and management on conditions including anxiety and mood disorders, substance-related disorders, neuro-cognitive disorders (dementia), ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, and psychotic disorders.
Date : 23/10/2015 (Fri)
Time : 9:30am – 5:30pm (7 hours)
- Christian Family Service Centre, Kwun Tong
- Room 201, 3 Tsui Ping Road, Kwun Tong. (approx. 3 min walking distance from Kwun Tong MTR Station D1 Exit)
- Location MAP
Language : Cantonese supplement with English (Teaching materials are mainly in English)
Target : Social workers, counselors, psychologists, health-care professionals, teachers, police officer and judicial personnel, as well as allied professionals.
Course Mode : Lecture, group discussion, role play & case sharing
Course Fee : HK$1030-
Special Offer : HK$980- for registration made on one month or more prior to the event
Group Discount : HK$930-/each for group of 3 or more
- Nurse (CNE) : 7 points
- Social Worker (CPD) : 7 points
- Occupational Therapist (CPD) : 3 points (Program Code: BP15025)
Certificate : Certificate of Attendance issued by Hong Kong Society of Professional Training
- Payment by Cheque : Please send completed registration form with a cross cheque payable to “Hong Kong Society of Professional Training” to 202-204A, Two Harbourfront, Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Payment by Bank-in : Please bank in the course fee to our bank account with “Bank of China (HK) Ltd“, A/C: 012-890-1-038-682-9, please send the completed enrollment form and bank-in slip to us by email (PDF) or by FAX: 852-2125 7900. We will confirm through email within 1 week, please contact us if you did not receive any confirmation.
- Macau Payment : Please click this link for details
- Overseas payment : Click Here to contact us.
For enquiry : For enquiry, please contact our staff at 3111 0264 or Click Here to contact us.
- Case study 非常實務，並提醒了 Problem & plan 的 priority 非常重要。 治療師
- 欣賞個案分享及分析。張醫生十分專業，細心分享評估技巧及方法。 社工 - Leo
- 欣賞講員的實用分享經驗。 社工 - Ah Man